In the early 1940s, Paul Crivelli, general manager of ABACUS Instruments, arranged a regular monthly luncheon with a number of Melbourne men involved in the instrumentation industry.
Following a discussion with instrument company representatives on 20 July 1943, a public meeting was called for 24 August 1943 at which a motion for the formation of The Australian Society of Instrument Technology (ASIT) was passed. It is believed that this was the first national technical society in the world to be formed specifically to deal with instrumentation.
The meeting elected Dr P L Henderson as president, who was the chief chemist of Monsanto (Australia), with Dr N B Lewis, the chief chemist of Kodak (Australasia) elected as vice president. Mr P A Crivelli was elected as honorary secretary.
During 1944, several members of the organisation travelled to Sydney and addressed a gathering of instrumentation people there. As a result, the Australian Institute of Instrument Technology (AIIT) was formed.
The two organisations subsequently agreed to produce the Australian Journal of Instrument Technology as the official organ of both bodies, with the management of the journal being arranged by ASIT.
In 1953, a South Australian Division of ASIT was formed, but people within the industry thought it would be better if a national body was created.
Negotiations between ASIT and AIIT took place and on 11 June 1957 at a special general meeting, the AIIT resolved to amalgamate with ASIT to form the Society of Instrument Technology Australia (SITA) and in November 1957 SITA was incorporated under the Victorian Companies Act.
The two founder bodies continued negotiations and on 25 March 1958, at an extraordinary general meeting at Royal Melbourne Technical College ASIT passed a motion authorising its committee “to wind up the affairs of ASIT and transfer all its assets to the Victorian Division of the SITA when it deems fit”.
The two founder bodies ceased to exist on 1 January 1959 and Mr R B Pearson of ICIANZ became the first president of the new amalgamated SITA.
On 10 November 1966, the name of the amalgamated body was officially changed to the Institute of Instrumentation and Control Australia. Following transition from the Companies Act to the Associations Incorporation Act, the Institute became the Institute of Instrumentation and Control Australia.
In July 2003, recognising the other interests of many members, the Institute of Instrumentation, Control and Automation Australia Inc, retained the IICA acronym.
The IICA is an open arena whose main purpose is for members to build their network and knowledge, as well as to enhance their professional career and make some lifelong friendships, which, since its inception, as occurred for many members.
During 2018 the IICA will be celebrating its 75th year, holding the regular technology expos in each state, TUV training courses, technical evenings, site visits, social events culminating with a gala black tie event in October.