- How to flatten regulator flow curves
Operate the regulator on the flattest part of a curve where it will maintain relatively constant pressure even with significant changes in flow.
- Transforming waste into green energy
Anaerobic waste water digestion technologies respond to industry’s need to clean up the waste water it discharges and also to break free from the cost and pollution of fossil fuels.
- How to detect cracks in turbomachines
Machinery vibration monitoring requires appropriately selected and strategically located vibrational sensors for capturing the vibration.
- How to boost asset availability
As a tool in the asset performance management toolbox, reliability solutions enable enterprises to optimise asset availability and utilisation to help mitigate exposure to risk.
- How to read a regulator flow curve
A flow curve illustrates the regulator’s range of capabilities at one glance. Once you understand a flow curve it is easy and very quick to read.
- Optimum control component selection for turbo-compressor systems
The importance of correct and timely dynamic simulations and proper selection of all control components should always be emphasised.
- Sustainable vehicle construction now possible with adhesives and surface treatments
Technologies cut production costs by facilitating a reduction in the consumption of materials while at the same time protecting the health of employees working in the sections concerned.
- Precision on-site milling services help overcome downtime risk
An error of millimetres can disable heavy plant such as feedout conveyors by causing premature wear.
- Understanding robotic vision systems
Robotics and vision sensors can now be integrated more easily than ever before making them ideal for multiple industrial applications.
- How automating procedures can improve process plant performance
In demand-limited manufacturing industries the overarching objective is to improve utilisation. Plants cannot achieve this without reducing unplanned downtime.
- How to simplifiy product changeovers on powder-filling packaging machines
Replacing a pneumatic actuator with a new smart actuator facilitates rapid and accurate filling adjustments when changing products or containers.
- Calculate the returns on automation
When considering whether the purchase of a piece of automation equipment such as a CNC router makes sense, price alone does not tell the whole story.
- Generate big benefits by implementing Thin Clients
Keith Jones, International Sales Manager, ACP, spells out the advantages and challenges of moving to a Thin Client setup.
- Do not assume your hardware is to blame if you experience poor wireless connectivity
A Queensland-based cement company sought to improve its productivity by implementing a wireless system in its ship unloaders. But things did not go to plan.
- Which wired or wireless protocol represents the future-oriented technology?
The WirelessHART and ISA100 wireless standards provide facility operators with two additional communications solutions for transmitting field data. Many users are therefore asking which wired or wireless protocol represents the future-oriented technology that is best suited for efficient and safe production.
- How best to reach out to students?
We need unique initiatives to attract next generation to an IC&A career.
- Remote operation centres in mining means different things to different people
Remote operation is not just moving chairs around but about driving substantial improvement that is sustainable. Noted consultant Andy Sherring weeds out the misunderstanding and presents the hard facts.
- How to maximise steam turbine performance
Measurements from a torque monitoring system at Qenos Altona showed power losses were occurring in the compressor, rather than in the turbine.
- We must make IC&A careers more attractive
Instrumentation and automation courses feature low down the priority list and this has to change.
- Drive down energy costs
Escalating demands to save energy in manufacturing facilities coupled with rising energy prices have lead equipment suppliers to develop new, more efficient motor and drive systems.