- Journey to Excellence: Focus for OpsManage’11
Invensys user conference examines ways to apply technology to empower people and drive business optimisation across manufacturing and production enterprises.
- HART names 2011 plant of the year
Engineers get connected to HART Communication to facilitate loop testing, startup, valve tuning, safety systems and remote device diagnostics.
- Manufacturing can benefit from advanced automation
Manufacturing can benefit from integrated architecture – the key lies in its scalability across multiple controllers and graphic interfaces.
- Fuzzy controller delivers improved pitch control for turbines
The pitch control of wind is based today on PD or PID controllers. The use of fuzzy controllers promises a faster and more efficient procedure.
- Modular ore crushing system
A multi-trailer ore crusher required a robust control system. AI Automation was able to deliver a setup consisting of self-generating trailers and a trailer mounted control room.
- Machine vision can boost productivity
Advances in machine vision technology for manufacturing environments can deliver significant quality control and productivity benefit.
- HyperSolar turns wastewater into renewable hydrogen and natural gas
Breakthrough technology produces energy and could be key to addressing the high cost of wastewater treatment.
- Uson offers no-cost videoconferencing for leak detection and visual inspection
Details of part geometry, sealing locations, elasticity and other part characteristics are greatly facilitated by shared and simultaneous viewing of the parts for which a leak detection solution is sought.
- Wet gas test stand to support energy industry
While true multiphase measurement systems have been employed for years, gas flows with some wetness have remained a difficult metering application to solve.
- Local instrumentation manufacturer does brisk business
Sydney-based SensMar is thriving on a brisk export business while retaining product development and manufacturing in Australia.
- Control system boosts productivity in steelmaking
Real Time Systems has recently developed an advanced electrode control system that offers substantially higher productivity and reduced specific energy consumption in electric arc furnaces.
- Australian-first project at Tarong Power Station uses algae to absorb carbon emissions
Under a process called Algal Synthesis, captured flue gases from the coal-fired power station are injected into waste water contained in long plastic membranes next to the station.
- Manufacturing is the third largest targeted industry for cyber attacks
Duqu threats were created to gather intelligence data from industrial control system manufacturers. The creators of Duqu had access to the source code of Stuxnet and were looking for information such as design documents that could help them mount future attacks on industrial control facilities.
- IT investments are shifting to plant
After a couple of tumultuous years companies once again are ramping up spending in CPM solutions. What are the reasons for this upsurge?
- Super hoists enable Intimate Mode at Etihad Stadium
Etihad Stadium could always do things differently due to its retractable roof. Now the Intimate Mode Hoisting System designed for unison lifting takes it to new heights.
- Opening the black box of mission critical networks
Security, wireless and zero-second switchover redundancy are trends set to dominate the industrial network sector.
- TAFE and Santos GLNG Project establish CSG Operations Training Centre in Queensland
In the first year of operation the Centre aims to train up to 90 people in the skills required to work in the Santos GLNG Project gas fields.
- ABB Australia opens world-first SF6 gas recycling plant
ABB Australia has developed a world-first technology for recycling contaminated sulphur hexafluoride gas at a new facility in NSW.
- CNC kernel shakes up machine tools market
The 10,000th model of NUM’s new-generation CNC kernel has just been produced. This milestone has been achieved within three years from launch marking a success for a mid-level CNC provider that serves mainly specialised machine tool builders.
- Fieldbus Foundation Unveils FOUNDATION For Remote Operations Management
FOUNDATION technology is expected to transform the industrial remote operations market by providing a single integrated infrastructure built specifically for process automation.